Effective And Affordable Solutions
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Divorce and transitions for children

Divorce and transitions for children

On Behalf of | Sep 6, 2016 | Divorce

One of the main concerns for many Arizona parents who are getting a divorce is the impact this will have on their children. They can, however, help their children adjust by trying to reduce conflict between one another. Although this can be challenging, it gives children the opportunity to spend more time with each parent in a lower-stress atmosphere.

Avoiding conflict with an ex-spouse can be tough, and parents should make sure that while they are trying to do their best for their children they do not neglect themselves as well. Self-care allows parents to replenish their own resources so that they can continue to be there for their children and help them through the process.

While parents need self-care, children need the assistance of their parents to guide them through the transition. This includes minimizing any changes if possible. A new school, a new home and eventually even stepparents may be unavoidable changes, but by acknowledging their difficulty and working with children to ease their way through them, parents may be able to help them better adjust.

This adjustment can begin during the divorce process. According to many studies, children adjust better when a divorce is less contentious. Parents might want to consider working with a mediator along with their respective attorneys if they are struggling to negotiate a parenting agreement. They might also consider writing provisions for dealing with potential conflicts or issues that may arise, such as when children meet parents’ new partners, into the parenting agreement. However, even if these negotiations are impossible and parents must go before a judge, they can still strive for an agreement that puts children first. A judge attempts to make a decision that is in the child’s best interests, and if parents later want alterations in child support or custody, they can return to court to request a modification.